Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the Eltham Library refurbishment plan
The Eltham Library is undergoing a minor refurbishment funded by Nillumbik Shire Council and the Yarra Plenty Regional Library Service.
The award-winning Eltham Library was built in 1994 and extended in 2010 to expand the children’s area and to add a children’s garden.
What this refurbishment will include;
- Council is planning to replace the carpet and in line with those works;
- Yarra Plenty Regional Library is proposing to update the floorplan to create an expanded young person’s area which includes consolidating the staff service desks into one service point and to update the existing colour palette with some bright spots of colour delicately distributed throughout the library.
- Overall shelving to house the book collection will increase, particularly in the junior and young adult areas. Due to the change in demand, it is proposed to increase power and charging outlets in all new study booths and new reading seats and reduce the number of public computer stations. It is also proposed that the powered study booths in the quiet study area in the mezzanine will increase from five powered study booths to sixteen with the addition of two group powered study booths acoustically treated for noise control.
In reflection of the commitment to sustainability where suitable existing furniture will be reused and updated with new upholstery, new table legs or new tabletops.
Some of the following items that were considered are:
- Increased study tables and chairs in the young people’s area with opportunities for increased technology programming to connect library users with modern technology.
- Improved working zone for micro-businesses, students, and budding entrepreneurs in the mezzanine
- Improved group meeting zone welcoming young and old to collaborate, read and meet
- Increased browsability of new, popular and book express collections
- Add soft flat cushions for seating in the children’s zone to meet the needs of young families using the library.
- Reduction of the number of Public Access Computers in response to reduced demand and in place additional powerpoints to charge laptops and other devices
- Increased powered work / study stations for customer’s own device use in response to increased demand
Concept designs by Content Studio
View the existing and proposed layout
Complete a short survey
Thank you. Feedback closed Sunday 6 November.