Eltham: Precinct 11 Plan
Preferred character statement
The precinct should become the preferred location for restricted retailing and similar uses (e.g. home improvement centres). Bridge Street will present as a ‘green’ gateway to Eltham Town Centre with recessed built form and strengthened canopy landscaping. It will present as a high priority environment for pedestrians and cyclists, with a new civic focal point with town square demarcating the high quality employment precinct.
- Encourage the precinct to be the preferred location for restricted retailing.
- Provide a small civic space that can link the precinct to the Activity Centre.
- Recognise and improve Bridge Street as a significant Gateway to Eltham.
- Encourage high quality contemporary forms which reflect the grain and quality of traditional ‘shed’ forms.
- Encourage buildings which are visually interesting, materially reflect the Eltham township’s bush character and complement the landscape setting.
- Establish a civic focal point opposite the T-intersection of Bridge Street and Silver Street.
- Encourage the urban form to emphasise key entrances, the civic focal point and intersections in the Centre.
- Create a safe pedestrian and cycle environment with reconfiguration of vehicle access and car parking along Bridge Street in an organised and continuous manner.
- Encourage the use of environmentally sustainable design principles for the built form and surrounding land.
- Enhance the pedestrian link between Peel Street to the recommended focal point at Bridge/ Diamond Street intersection.
- Investigate the provision of a pedestrian crossing on Bridge Street.
- Ensure that the area has convenient car parking, including designated accessible bays for people with a disability.
- Buildings fronting Bridge Street should be setback no more than 22m which contains two facing rows of right-angle parking off a single access way, with landscaping separating the parking area and a pedestrian path on each side of the accessway.
- Frontages should incorporate:
- 50-80% clear glazing between a height of 1m and 2.4m above the footpath, offering unobstructed views into the building;
- Pedestrian entries at least every 30m; and
- Provide continuous weather protection (such as cantilevered canopies/ verandahs) over footpaths.