Eltham: Precinct 6 Plan
Preferred character statement
This precinct will continue to be used for a range of public open space activities. It will retain its extensive native and indigenous species of trees and bushes, and continue to be an important part of the Eltham Gateway on the edge of the Activity Centre. It is significant as a place for community events and gatherings as well as for connections to the station, retail area and Bridge Street.
- To enhance the park to support the notion of a new town centre whilst retaining the present character of the park.
- Strengthen the links with the adjacent interface precinct.
- Design the park area adjacent to the Library to ensure that this area can be readily used for outdoor community events.
- Enhance public safety within the precinct.
- Support and provide for activities that complement the skateboard facility in Alistair Knox Park.
- Implement management regimes to minimise graffiti and enhance public safety through the town park precinct.
- Enhance the links between this precinct and the remainder of the Activity Centre.
- Upgrade and improve the pedestrian and cycling link along the Diamond Creek.
- Retain and enhance the quality of the park.
- Continue to enhance the quality of the Diamond Creek.
- Prepare an overarching landscape strategy that manages the existing mature canopy and encourages canopy renewal and replacement as trees age to increase canopy coverage.
- Prepare a signage and furniture strategy to create integrated themes.
- Install significant artwork preferably by local artists at Main Road and Bridge Street corner.
- Install artwork preferably by local artists through Alistair Knox Park.
- Upgrade and improve the management of the creek.
- Undertake additional planting in the parkland adjacent to the Diamond Creek.
- Include additional seating and resting points to accommodate older people and those with a disability need.
- Investigate installing sensitive night lighting in Alistair Knox Park along key pathways.