Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the draft Governance Rule - Meeting Procedures
Under section 60 of the Local Government Act 2020 all Councils are required to adopt and maintain Governance Rules which determine the rules for Council Meetings as well as provide guidance on other governance matters.
Council’s current meeting procedures were under review due to changes driven by:
- the Regulatory Legislation Amendment (Reform) Act 2022 (the Amendment Act), which received Royal Assent on 29 March 2022 and includes reforms relating to virtual council meetings.
- from 2 September 2022, councils and regional libraries will be able to conduct virtual meetings in accordance with their relevant Governance Rules (or Local Laws in the case of regional libraries) on a permanent basis.
An initial review of the Governance Rule – Meeting Procedures has been conducted and the key proposed changes include but are not limited to:
- Rules for how Councillors can attend and participate at Council Meetings
- Review of the Public Question Time and Notice of Motion provisions to provide greater clarity
- Greater flexibility to enable members of the public to address Council Meetings
- Changes to processes to support access equity and inclusion
Feedback has now closed.