Draft Access, Equity and Inclusion Policy
Nillumbik Shire Council is committed to developing an Access, Equity and Inclusion Policy by June 2022.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the draft.
The draft Nillumbik Access, Equity and Inclusion Policy outlines Council's commitment to accessible, equitable and inclusive practice across all council activities. The purpose of the policy is to:
- Demonstrate leadership
- Provide a lens over all council services
- Inform council decision making and investment
- Identify when and how we advocate
- Identify and consider unique and intersecting needs of priority groups
- Commit to strengthening relationships with partners, local service providers, organisation and community.
The Policy includes the following guiding principles;
- Human rights and social justice
- Consider access, equity and inclusion in all decision making.
- Use evidence to inform deliberate and meaningful advocacy.
- Demonstrate Council’s values to protect and enhance inclusion in the community.
- Empower community to meaningfully shape decisions that impact their lives and stand up for themselves and each other.
- Celebrate the diversity of our community and actively work to reduce inequalities.
- Model inclusive and flexible workplace culture and practice.
- Invest in Councillor, employee and volunteer development to increase knowledge and practices that promote access, equity and inclusion.
- Provide accessible and adaptive information and communications that are representative of the community regardless of physical, social and cultural barriers
- Foster democratic representation and meaningful community engagement.
- Champion equity, participation and inclusion as we work to eliminate barriers and reduce discrimination.
- Design and deliver services that meet the diverse and future needs of our community and reduce barriers to access and inclusion.
- Plan, design and maintain places and spaces that are welcoming, safe, accessible and inclusive of the needs of all community members.
- Celebrate, embrace and be informed by our unique identity and acknowledge our changing community.
Feedback has now closed.